How Cities Work
The 2013 edition of the How Cities Work publication is now availalbe. This useful reference and educational tool is a collection of articles describing the important functions and vital services cities provide.
TML member cities can order copies of the How Cities Work publication by emailing the TML Member Services Department. Please include your mailing address and the number of copies you would like to receive.
The publication is available at no charge to TML member cities.
To download pdf files of the entire publication, or individual articles, click on the links below.
- Where Do Texas Cities Get their Money?
- Reverse Intergovernmental Aid
- City Property Taxes: Tremendous Bang for the Buck
- Cracking the Code: Citizen Safety and Protection of Property Values
- City Economic Development
- Cities Keep the Garbage from Piling Up
- Putting the "Works" in Public Works
- The Growing Need for Water and Wastewater Services
- Funding the State Water Plan
- Cities Refuse to Accept Utility Rate Hikes Without a Fight
- The Connection Between Infrastructure and Revenue Caps
- The High Cost of Providing Public Safety
- Annexation: It Isn't a Four-Letter Word
- Zoning: A Primary Means to Protect Property Values and the Welfare of City Residents
- Keeping the Power On: Cities and Electricity
- Thriving Libraries Reflect Thriving Cities
- Texans Keep Healthy in City Parks
- The Texas Municipal Retirement System: Proven Success