Speaker Straus Creates Select Committee on Economic Development Incentives
Texas House Speaker Joe Straus recently created the Select Committee on Economic Development Incentives, which will assess the economic benefit provided by state and local incentive programs and make recommendations to make those programs more effective and efficient. The committee will determine the types of economic development projects that offer the most benefit to the state and suggest opportunities to focus on those projects.
Specifically, the committee is charged to:
- Determine the types or categories of economic development projects that provide the greatest benefit to the state and make recommendations on or target the types or categories of economic development projects that provide the greatest long-term benefit to the state.
- Catalog and evaluate economic development incentive grants awarded at the state level and assess their relative success, recognizing adjustments or modifications made to the initial criteria outlined in the award contracts.
- Examine the agencies administering economic development incentive programs and make recommendations about where consolidating or moving functions improves efficiency.
- Identify any problems in coordination between state and local economic development entities and make recommendations to improve coordination where beneficial.
- Review best practices of economic development incentive programs and make recommendations on changes to existing programs where appropriate.
The committee will be chaired by Angie Chen Button (R – Richardson). Eddie Rodriguez (D – Austin) will serve as vice chair. The members include:
- Trent Ashby (R – Lufkin).
- Joe Deshotel (D – Beaumont).
- John Kuempel (R – Seguin).
- Jodie Laubenberg (R – Murphy).
- J.M. Lozano (R – Kingsville).
- Borris Miles (D – Houston).
- Poncho Nevarez (D – Eagle Pass).
- René Oliveira (D – Brownsville).
- Mary Ann Perez (D – Houston).
- Drew Springer (R – Muenster).
- Jason Villalba (R – Dallas).
The League will monitor the committee’s work and report as necessary.