Texas Municipal League Municipal Excellence Awards
- 2016 Excellence Award Winners - under 25,000 pop.
- 2016 Excellence Award Winners - over 25,000 pop.
The 2017 Texas Municipal League Municipal Excellence Awards recognize and encourage the achievements of Texas cities in meeting the challenge of municipal government. Innovative problem-solving, excellence in management, increasing citizen participation, and reaching toward higher service levels are all daily occurrences in Texas cities, and they deserve recognition.
This awards program seeks out the best of these programs to honor. It is through the recognition of the best of the best that all Texas cities share and learn from these achievements.
The competition is divided into two population categories to allow cities to compete with other cities of comparable size. The population categories are: cities under 25,000 population and cities over 25,000.
Within each of the two population categories, there are five subject categories: management innovations, communication programs, city spirit, public safety, and public works. Those categories are explained below:
- Management Innovations - Award applications in this category encompass employee development and training, financial applications, intergovernmental cooperation, technology advances, or other innovative approaches to city government management.
- Communication Programs - Award applications in this category feature effective methods used by cities to communicate with citizens, employees, customers, or other government entities. The applications can include written, oral, and visual communication methods.
- City Spirit - Award applications in this category highlight any citywide effort to address a city need. This may include projects focused on neighborhood clean-up, beautification, economic development, historic preservation, or other projects supported by broad-based city efforts.
- Public Safety - Award applications in this category include efforts to improve the safety and security of the city. This may include programs relating to law enforcement, fire and emergency response, youth, and disaster response.
- Public Works - Award applications in this category address a wide variety of projects and efforts, such as environmental management, planning and land use, transportation, utilities, parks and recreation, and energy resource management.
Cities may submit one entry in each of the five subject categories, but judges may move entries between categories. More than one application in a single category may result in disqualification. Each entry should demonstrate a proven record of effectiveness and evidence that the program has achieved its goals.
The awards program is open to all Texas Municipal League member cities. Each city can submit one award application in each subject category, for a total of five applications. Entries must describe programs or projects brought to conclusion or showing significant results between November 1, 2015, and May 1, 2017.
To apply, please submit five copies of a typed document providing the following required information. This document will serve as the official application. If applications are submitted in more than one category, please submit a separate document for each category.
1. City name
3. Subject category of entry (City Spirit, Communication Programs, Management Innovations, Public Safety, or Public Works)
4. Title of entry
5. Project summary (200 words or less)
6. Project description (1,200 words or less)
a. Why the project was needed
b. How it accomplished its goal(s)
c. Who benefited
d. Level of cooperation within the city and/or with other entities (city, county, state, etc.)
e. Time or money savings
f. Time or money costs
g. Improvement to quality of service and/or livability of the city
h. Future impact on the city
7. Signature and printed name of the chief elected or appointed official (mayor or city manager/administrator)
8. Contact person’s name, title, mailing address, phone number, and email address
Additional information artwork, brochures, photos, media clippings, DVDs, CDs, flash drives, and other similar material may be submitted, but is not necessary. Please check DVDs, CDs, and flash drives submitted for quality of picture and, if applicable, sound. Label each electronic submission to indicate the format for preferred viewing. All material submitted with each entry becomes the property of the Texas Municipal League and will not be returned.
Five copies of all materials (excluding DVDs, CDs, and flash drives) must be submitted.
Award Application Deadline
All entries, including additional material if submitted, must be received in the TML offices by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, June 2, 2017. Entries can be mailed or delivered to TML Municipal Excellence Awards Program, 1821 Rutherford Lane, Suite 400, Austin, Texas 78754-5101. Email and fax applications will not be accepted. Entries, including additional material, will not be returned.
The Texas Municipal League, its staff, officers, and Board, will not be responsible for any lost, delayed, or misdirected award applications.
Entries will be screened by TML staff for completeness. Any entries deemed not complete will be excluded.
Final judging will be conducted by an independent panel of judges with considerable experience in the area of municipal government. The judging will take place in Austin and will be closed to the public. The judges reserve the right to change the category of entries.
Judges will be asked to look for the following attributes of each entry:
- Is the application complete and are all the necessary items enclosed?
- Is the project innovative?
- Did the project achieve its goal?
- What is the long-term value to the city?
- Can the project be adapted for other cities?
Announcement of the Winners
All winning applicants will be notified in late August 2017. The winners will be featured in a future issue of Texas Town & City magazine. In addition, the winners will be recognized at the TML Annual Conference to be held on October 3-6, 2017, in Houston.
If you have questions about the TML Municipal Excellence Awards Program, contact Rachael Pitts at email@example.com or 512-231-7400.